Life as an HRCS Student
For Incoming and Current Students
Life as a Health, Recreation & Community Services (HRCS) student means you’re on the move. In a Wellness Recreation Center classroom; out in the community as part of poverty simulation exercise; shadowing at a local nonprofit; exploring the human body in the anatomy lab; studying quietly in the lounge overlooking the WRC pools; reviewing an assignment with a professor.
All that activity needs support. Whether it’s faculty, professional advisors, staff and resources within the College of Education or across campus, we have what you need.
COE Advising Admissions
Life at UNI Financial Aid
HRCS Adventure Trips
In the field: From clinics to the community
Getting hands-on may be called different names among the degrees offered by HRCS — clinical experience and internships — but these are requirements that build your skill base at either undergraduate or graduate levels.
- Athletic training and rehabilitation studies (Clinical experience)
- Public health (Internships)
- Recreation, tourism and nonprofit leadership (Internship)
- County health departments
- YWCA and YMCA summer programs
- United Nations-related nonprofits
- Community health clinic
- Medical missions abroad
- Master’s in athletic training (Clinical experience)
- Summer training camp with Indianapolis Colts
- Student trainer with UNI football team
Network. Learn. Grow.
Add to your UNI experience through the networking, programming and activities that help bring your HRCS degrees to life.
- Undergraduate: Three scholarships for public health or recreation, tourism & nonprofit leadership students
- Clifford J. & Ruth M. Edginton Endowed Scholarship
- Dean’s Graduate Scholarships
Additional College of Education-specific scholarships
If you’re an on campus student, you can also apply for a graduate tuition scholarship through the Graduate College. Funding varies, but many scholarships award up to $1,000. The Dean’s Graduate Scholarships are $1,500 awards.
Graduate Assistantships & More
Depending on the availability of funds, HRCS-related graduate assistantships may be offered for: