UNI Minority Educators of Today and Tomorrow
Eligibility: 1) Be a minority student going into your junior or senior year of high school. 2) Be at least 16 years old.
Contact: Amy Lockhart at firstname.lastname@example.org or (319) 273-2209.
3rd Annual UMETT Summer Academy
June 17-21, 2019
1. Connect with current UNI faculty, staff, students and minority leaders on the University of Northern Iowa campus.
2. Participate in team-building activities with other high school students from across Iowa.
3. Experience teaching firsthand, with field experience opportunities through one-on-one work with Waterloo Community School District children.
4. Learn about the impact that YOU can have as a future educator.
The UMETT program seeks to:
1. Build or maintain students' interest in the teaching profession, in attending UNI as an education major, or in pursuing a teaching career with a partnering school district.
2. Provide each participant with the support needed to pursue a degree in education, attend UNI, and graduate with the credentials, experience and performance quality to be considered for a teaching position in a partnering school district.
Teaching as a Mission
Students are encouraged to explore teaching as a mission. A teacher functions as a vital change agent; not only for educational justice, but to also improve schools and their local communities.
Preparing for College
The UMETT program helps students to gain the experiences necessary to succeed in their first year in college through fostering a sense of belonging, resilience and self-efficacy by connecting them with helpful resources.
Program at a Glance:
After breakfast each morning, students will participate in morning interactive sessions dedicated to teaching as a mission, including field experience opportunities at a local school district. Afternoons will be spent learning about college life and the UNI campus. Featured speakers will talk about their various pathways to college. After dinner, students will participate in large group team-building activities and will have some free time in the residence halls.