Non-UNI Students: How to Apply
There are a limited number of spots, applicants will be accepted based on the merits of their paperwork and availability of requested sites.
How do I submit my application?
SUBMIT all application materials in one email to email@example.com. The subject line of the email should read "STUDENT TEACHING APPLICATION, your name, student teaching semester"
For example: STUDENT TEACHING APPLICATION, Jane Smith, Fall 2014.
The email should contain the following documents:
- A letter of eligibility from the director of student teaching at your home university
- Non-UNI Student Teaching Application
- Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Document
- Alternative Placement Policy
- Two recommendation forms (from professors and/or employers). Can be sent by email with the application or included in your professional website.
- Copy of results from criminal background check (can be federal or state approved).
- A professional webpage which contains the following items:(suggested web designers include Google, Weebly, Wix)
- Professional looking photo of yourself
- Brief personal introduction
- Teaching philosophy
- Two recommendations
- Do not include personal information on your website for yourself or your references- such as a physical address or social security number
MAIL your deposit check of $875, payable to University of Northern Iowa to:
Out-of-State & International Student Teaching Office
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0617
(* if your university has agreed to pay your deposit, you should indicate that in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Deposit must be received by the application deadline.
When is my application due?
Applications are due January 30 for FALL placements
Application are due September 30 for SPRING placements
What are the application fees?
$1,750 for a half semester placement*
(includes $875 non-refundable deposit is due at the time of application and the remaining $875 is due once the placement has secured)
$2,450 for a full semester placement*
(includes $875 non-refundable deposit is due at the time of application and the remaining $1575 is due once the placement has been secured).
* Full payment due once final placement is made. Student will receive an invoice from the University of Northern Iowa.
What other costs will I need to consider?
Other expenses include (but are not limited to...)
transportation to and from the location
transportation to and from school every day
We are unable to give an exact amount of what each location will cost because placements are all individually based. Please note that European countries and more developed nations can be very expensive. Less developed nations are typically a lot more economically feasible than more developed nations.
How will I know if I am accepted?
A UNI coordinator will email or call you when all your application is complete. This is usually within two weeks after the application due date.
What happens after I am accepted?
Once you are accepted into the International and Out-of-State Student Teaching Program you will be interviewed by a Placement Coordinator to discuss the details of your placement request. At this time you will be expected to prioritize and confirm three separate locations that you wish to be placed in. Please give special consideration to partnership locations (see Locations tab). After the Placement Interview your Placement Coordinator will begin contacting schools.
NOTE- Your UNI coordinator will not begin contacting schools until all application materials and deposit are received.