Teach Waterloo is a University of Northern Iowa and Waterloo Community School District (WCSD) partnership to increase the number of minority teachers to support student success.
- The program offers WCSD support staff members (paraprofessionals, behavior intervention specialists, etc.) of color the opportunity to earn their teaching license in a cohort-based, supportive, convenient, quality Elementary Education-Teaching K-6 B.A. program.
- Students’ completion of a 60-hour teacher education curriculum over 2.5 years, coupled with the existing AA degree required to join the program, will result in timely completion of a 120-hour teacher preparation program.
- The curriculum aligns with the UNI teacher education program and fulfills the Iowa Department of Education’s requirements for teacher education.
- Courses are delivered at WCSD sites and at UNI.
- As preservice teachers, they receive intensive support from success coaches, mentors, and academic advisors, and are provided release time from their school duties to study and collaborate with other cohort members.
Read more about Teach Waterloo in this feature story.
c/o Robin Dada
138B Schindler Education Center
University of Northern Iowa