Teach Waterloo is a University of Northern Iowa and Waterloo Community School District (WCSD) partnership to increase the number of minority teachers to support student success.
- The program offers WCSD support staff members (paraprofessionals, behavior intervention specialists, etc.) of color the opportunity to earn their teaching license in a cohort-based, supportive, convenient, quality Elementary Education-Teaching K-6 B.A. program.
- Students’ completion of a 60-hour teacher education curriculum over 2.5 years, coupled with the existing AA degree required to join the program, will result in timely completion of a 120-hour teacher preparation program.
- The curriculum aligns with the UNI teacher education program and fulfills the Iowa Department of Education’s requirements for teacher education.
- Courses are delivered at WCSD sites and at UNI.
- As preservice teachers, they receive intensive support from success coaches, mentors, and academic advisors, and are provided release time from their school duties to study and collaborate with other cohort members.
c/o Robin Dada
138B Schindler Education Center
University of Northern Iowa