The Department of Special Education prepares teachers to work with children who have special needs or may be at risk for learning and/or behavior difficulties. The curriculum is a carefully planned sequence of classroom and practical experiences. You will have the opportunity to work closely with both UNI faculty and exemplary teachers within local schools. Through this program you will acquire the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and teaching practices necessary to teach children with learning and behavioral challenges and collaborate with families and other school personnel (general education teachers, social workers, guidance counselors, etc.). The Department of Special Education offers four different endorsements that can accompany your Teaching Education Major.
For additional information please contact Dr. Danielle Cowley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unique Program Features:
- Outstanding faculty who have won many teaching and research awards, and are known nationally and internationally for their scholarly contributions to the field.
- Integrated methods courses.
- Development of a student portfolio.
- More than 100 hours of field experience prior to student teaching including 18 weeks of half-day, week-long teaching in public classroom settings.
- A variety of student teaching sites in Iowa as well as opportunities in other states and countries.
- Nationally recognized Minorities in Teaching program, designed to encourage minority students as young as 6th grade to pursue teaching as a career.
- Yearly teacher education induction convocation to honor students admitted to teacher education.
- Kappa Delta Pi education honorary for students with cumulative grade point averages above 3.25.
- Membership in Student Council for Exceptional Children
- All-Iowa Teacher Recruiting Fair and the UNI Overseas Recruiting Fair, regarded worldwide as one of the foremost teacher recruiting events.
Program Minors (Endorsements)
Instructional Strategist I: Mild/Moderate Disabilities K-8 (Endorsement 260)
Instructional Strategist I: Mild/Moderate Disabilities 5-12 (Endorsement 261)
Instructional Strategist II: Intellectual Disabilities K-12 (Endorsement 264)