Associate Professor & Chair, COE Senate
Areas of Expertise:
- Disability studies
- Low incidence disabilities
- Qualitative research
- Capturing the narratives of individuals with disabilities and their families
- Qualitative methodology and methods
- Inclusive education
- Literacy learning in children with complex communication needs and severe disabilities
- Role of technology in supporting literacy development and inclusion
- Petersen, A. J. (2009). Shana's story: The struggles, quandaries, and pitfalls surrounding self-determination. Disability Studies Quarterly, 29 (2).
- Petersen, A. J. (2009). Ain't nobody gonna get me down: An examination of the educational experiences of four African American women labeled with disabilities. Equity & Excellence in Education, 4.
- Petersen, A. J. (2006). An African-American woman with disabilities: The intersection of gender, race, and disability. Disability & Society, 121 (7).
- BA Special Education, University of Northern Iowa
- M.Ed. Special Education, University of Northern Iowa
- Ed.D. Special Education, University of Northern Iowa