Sally Gearhart Strottman Memorial Scholarship for Elementary Education
The Sally Gearhart Strottman Memorial Scholarship in Elementary Education is an amazing opportunity for a high school senior, in the counties listed below, who wishes to pursue a degree in elementary education. One new student each year is selected and will receive a $10,000 scholarship award. The scholarship is renewable each year criteria are met for up to four years.
Sally Gearhart Strottman was born on February 28, 1947 in Waterloo and graduated from Columbus High School in 1965. She attended UNI and received her B.A. in Elementary Education/Science in January, 1970. After graduating from UNI, she accepted a 2nd grade teaching position in Marion, IA and taught there for 3 years. On July 1, 1972 she married William Strottman. She then started teaching 2nd grade in Sheffield and in 1976 moved to Waverly, where she left teaching to raise her family. In 1982, she began teaching at St. Paul's Lutheran School, where she taught 1st and 2nd grades. In 1989, she went on to teach 6th grade for W-SR Public Schools at Irving Elementary. In the fall of 1992, she received her Masters of Education Administration from UNI before cancer forced her to retire in April 1993.
- Be an incoming freshman from one of these Northeast Iowa counties: Allamakee, Black Hawk, Bremer, Buchanan, Butler, Cerro Gordo, Chickasaw, Clayton, Delaware, Dubuque, Fayette, Floyd, Franklin, Grundy, Hardin, Howard, Mitchell, Winneshiek or Worth
- Major in elementary education
- Minimum G.P.A. of 3.75
- Be involved in extracurricular activities, which may include volunteer service
- Provide two references; these may be school personnel and/or UNI alumni
- Complete an essay on why you are interested in pursuing a degree in elementary education
- Maintain a minimum of 30 credit hours for the academic year
- Interview required for finalists
Complete the UNI online scholarship application at https://finaid.uni.edu/
Finalists may be required to submit additional information for consideration. Priority application deadline December 1, 2020. Apply now!