About the Award
The University of Northern Iowa College of Education is excited to offer once again the Sally Gearhart Strottman Memorial Scholarship in Elementary Education. This scholarship is an amazing opportunity for a high school senior, in the counties listed below, who wishes to pursue a degree in elementary education. One new student each year is selected and will receive a $10,000 scholarship award. The scholarship is renewable each year criteria are met for up to four years.
About Sally Gearhart Strottman
Sally Gearhart Strottman was born on Feb. 28, 1947, in Waterloo and graduated from Columbus High School in 1965. She attended UNI and received her B.A. in elementary education/science in January 1970. After graduating from UNI, she accepted a second grade teaching position in Marion, Iowa, and taught there for three years. On July 1, 1972, she married William Strottman. She then started teaching second grade in Sheffield and in 1976 moved to Waverly, where she left teaching to raise her family. In 1982, she began teaching at St. Paul's Lutheran School, where she taught first and second grades. In 1989, she went on to teach sixth grade for Waverly-Shell Rock Public Schools at Irving Elementary. In the fall1992, she received her Master of Education Administration from UNI before cancer forced her to retire in April 1993.
TO QUALIFY, STUDENTS MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- Be an incoming freshman from one of the Northeast Iowa counties listed below
Allamakee, Black Hawk, Bremer, Buchanan, Butler, Cerro Gordo, Chickasaw, Clayton, Delaware, Dubuque, Fayette, Floyd, Franklin, Grundy, Hardin, Howard, Mitchell, Winneshiek and Worth
- Major in elementary education
- Have an ACT score of 26 or greater OR RAI of 325 or greater
- Be involved in extracurricular activities, which may include volunteer service
- Provide two references; these may be school personnel and/or UNI alumni
- Complete an essay on why you are interested in pursuing a degree in elementary education
- Maintain a minimum of 30 credit hours for the academic year
- Interview required for finalists
Complete the UNI online scholarship application at https://finaid.uni.edu/
Finalists may be required to submit additional information for consideration. Priority application deadline December 1, 2019. Apply now!
For additional questions, please contact Andrea Elliott at the UNI Foundation, 319-273-6778, or firstname.lastname@example.org