Our UNI Principalship Preparation Program welcomes teacher leaders who aspire to become principals or special education supervisors at the building/district/AEA levels. Candidates will engage in an intensive process of academic learning, professional analysis, and personal reflection. Throughout our program, candidates will expand their knowledge and growth in the Iowa Standards of School Leaders (ISSL):
- Shared Vision
- Culture of Learning
- Family and Community
- Societal Context
Upon completion of our two-year synchronous/asynchronous program, graduates will be well-prepared to enter any school setting as a Leader of Learning, Leaders of Service, and Leader of Change.
We are excited that you are considering UNI Principal Preparation program for your career aspirations and look forward to reviewing your application. Thank you in advance for making UNI your University of choice!
Course Requirements for PK-12 Principalship/PK-12 Supervisor of Special Education
*Must have an approved master's degree for ASC Certification
- Orientation to Educational Leadership Standards
- School Management for Student Learning and Achievement
- Evaluator Approval for Improved Student Learning
- Leading, Learning, Teaching, and Curriculum
- Internship: Seminar
- Leadership for Effective Schools and Organizations
- Seminar: School Leadership
- School Governance, Law, and Intersystems Relations
- Leading School Growth and Improvement
- Educational Research
- Special Education Law and Policy
- Seminar: Community Connections
- Activities Administration
- Capstone: Capstone to Educational Leadership
- Leading Instruction in Schools
Total units = 35
Additional Program Requirements:
- Completion of Internship Reflections
- Development and Presentation of Comprehensive School Leadership Portfolio
- Reflective sessions with mentor / principal
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must first complete the Graduate Application. There will be a $60 application fee for admission to the program (unless you graduated from UNI with a B.A., M.A., or M.A.E.).
When prompted to select a program, type Principal to select one of the following:
- Advanced Studies Certificate - Principalship (26PGPRE)
- Principalship - MAE (268GPRE)
ASC-Principalship-26PGPRE (if you already have M.A./M.A.E. degree) to obtain an Advanced Studies Certificate (ASC) with endorsement as PK-12 Principal/PK-12 Supervisor of Special Education.
Principalship-MAE-268GPRE to obtain a Master of Arts in Education (M.A.E.) degree with endorsement as PK-12 Principal/PK-12 Supervisor of Special Education
Respond to the remaining prompts in the application.
Our department will verify with the BOEE that you have a standard license, which is required for acceptance into the program. When contacted by the department’s program assistant, applicants in their second year on an initial license must email a letter from the evaluator/principal stating that they will be recommended for the standard license at the end of the current school year.
After all required application documents have been submitted prior to or by the deadline, the Department of Educational Psychology, Foundations and Leadership Studies faculty will review the application, and, if accepted, will forward a recommendation to the Graduate College for final approval.
All applicants will be notified of their status: Unconditional Admission, Provisional Admission or Denied.
Once approved, the department will assign an advisor and provide enrollment information.
|Maximum Award||Apply By|
|Marilyn Jorgensen Education Scholarship||$2,000||1/15/2020|
|Betty J. Hyde Endowed Scholarship||$2,000||1/15/2020|
|Sue Stedman Education Leadership Endowed Scholarship||3/1/2020|
|Ida May Wilson Quasi-Endowed Graduate Scholarship||3/1/2020|