down arrowMenu


Here are answers to some questions we have encountered and you may have been thinking about:


What kinds of jobs can I get with a Postsecondary Education: Student Affairs masters degree?

There are many opportunities in the field of Student Affairs, including areas such as Residence Life, Student Activities, Admissions, Financial Aid, Career Services, and Multicultural Affairs. In this degree program you will have opportunities such as assistantships and internships to help you learn which areas best fit your skills and interests. 


Application and Admission


When should I start applying for the program and assistantships/scholarships?

The application, transcripts, recommendation letters (3), personal statement and resume are due by January 15, 2018. You are welcome to start building your application file any time - many individuals will begin to submit parts of the application in the fall. We create an electronic file for you and keep it up to date as you turn items in. You can always check the status of your file by calling (319) 273-2605.


Assistantships and Scholarships


How many people are typically accepted into the program? What is the typical class size?

Approximately 25 people are accepted into the PSE:SA program each year. There is a mix between full-time and part-time students. Class sizes for each course range from 23-25 people depending on the class and the semester.



Graduate Assistantships and Financial Assistance


What kinds of financial assistance can I get for this program?

Students in the Postsecondary Education: Student Affairs program are encouraged to hold an assistantship while enrolled in the program.  Assistantships require 20 hours of work per week and offer a monthly salary. Information about eligibility for assistantships can be found on the Graduate College website.

Admitted students to the PSE:SA program are invited to attend Interview Day which is held on February 26, 2018.  At I-Day, admitted students are able to interview for a variety of assistantships at UNI.  For more information on current openings and position descriptions, please visit the Assistantships page.

Degree-seeking graduate students who are enrolled at least half time and have completed the FAFSA may be eligible to receive federal student loans.  For more information about funding graduate school, please visit the Financial Aid website.


How can an assistantship help me in the program? How can I get one?

In addition to providing financial support, assistantships are a valuable way of gaining hands-on experience while you are enrolled in the program. An assistantship will give you professional experience which will better prepare you for the next step in your student affairs career.

Most students in the PSE:SA program obtain an assistantship by attending Interview Day.  Students will receive information about registering for I-Day in their admission e-mail.


How can I gain extra experience and be competitive in the field if I do not have an assistantship?

If you do not obtain an assistantship, the best thing to do is apply for jobs in student affairs at UNI or other nearby schools.  Some students find full- or part-time work in professional roles, while others are hired as student workers in a variety of offices on campus.  You can see available openings on the UNI Job Board through the Office of Student Financial Aid website.  



Academic Program


Who teaches courses within the program?

The majority of courses within the program are taught by instructors who work as full-time professionals in the field of student affairs.  They bring a wealth of real-world experience to the classroom environment.  You can view the profiles of current professors on the Faculty & Staff profile page.


What are internships? Where can I do them?

Internships allow you to see what a Student Affairs professional does first hand. 6 credits (300 work hours total) of practica are required for graduation from the program. 6 credits of interenship are required for graduation from the program.  You will do two separate 150 hour internships (10 hrs/week for 15 weeks).  Internships may also be taken as a final elective. They are graded and some may be paid. You can complete internships at various colleges in the area, in other states, or even internationally.  Recently, students have completed internships in the US in Minnesota, Kentucky, California, Texas, New York, and Wisconsin; and internationally in Belize, New Zealand, England, and Ireland. 


What is the difference between a thesis and non-thesis degree?

We offer both thesis and non-thesis options in our program. The non-thesis option requires 38 credits and the thesis option requires 44 credits. All students take the same core courses, but those pursuing the thesis option are required to take extra credits of research.



Online Resources


What is eLearning? How do I use it?

eLearning is UNI's electronic Learning Management System and can be accessed through the UNI homepage.  Some courses at UNI utilize eLearning as a tool for facilitating discussion threads, sharing class readings and materials, and submitting work assignments.  Your professors will let you know the extent to which you will use eLearning in their courses.


What is MyUNIverse? What kinds of information can I get there?

MyUNIverse is a site where students can track their progress through the program, register for classes, submit student requests, view their student bills, check grades, and read campus news and events. Current students can access MyUniverse with a UNI username and password.

Forms you may need to use, such as the Student Request form and the Transfer Credit form can be found within the "Student Center" in MyUNIverse.


What forms can I access through MyUNIverse?

You may need to fill out several forms throughout the course of your graduate studies.  These forms can be found and completed through MyUniverse, and they include the following:

  • Program of Study

This specifies the courses for your Master's degree program. Subsequent changes to it may be made with a Student Request form approved by your advisor. Your program of study is automatically populated on My UNIverse when you are admitted to the program.

  • Student Request Form

This is to request a change on your program of study or for other academic related changes that may need to be done during your program. You will complete these in consultation with your advisor.

  • Transfer Credit Evaluation Form

If you have taken graduate courses at another institution and would like to substitute those for classes in your program, you will need to submit a transfer credit evaluation form. For example, if you took graduate courses at the University of Illinois, you will have to fill out both the Transfer Credit Evaluation form and the Student Request form. Print out the Transfer Credit Evaluation form and fill out the appropriate information and send to the granting institution. The institution where you took the course(s) will fill out the form and return to the UNI registrar office. UNI will determine if the course meets Graduate Council Criteria. A copy will be mailed to the student, then you can log on to My UNIverse and submit a Student Request to request the course number, title, and units from the University of Illinois be substituted for xxx:xxx, course title, and credit hours on your program of study.

If you have taken courses at another Iowa Regents institution (University of Iowa or Iowa State) you will not have to fill out the Transfer Credit Evaluation form - only the Student Request is required.

  •  Graduation Application Form

You will complete this form during the first few weeks of the semester in which you intend to graduate. Graduation applications have a fee of $75; late graduation application forms are subject to an additional late fee. If you fill out the form and do not graduate the intended semester, you will need to fill it out again for the next semester you intend to graduate. You will also have to pay another application fee.  More information can be found on the Registrar's website.