Graduate Student Information

How can I apply to UNI for my Graduate Program


If you want to be considered for a Graduate Assistantship and/or Graduate Scholarship, applications must be received by March 1.  Additional information can be found on this page.


If you applying for a graduate degree in the School of Kinesiology, Allied Health and Human Services you must meet the following requirements:

  • Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 to apply, 3.0 GPA if applying for a graduate assistantship and/or tuition scholarship


  • Applicant must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university


  • An official transcript from each college or university attended (if other than UNI)


  • Applicants must complete applications to UNI for Graduate Studies  and also an application for the Division (Health Promotion; Leisure, Youth & Human Services; or Physical Education)


  • Letter of intent stating your desire to enter our graduate level program, career goals, and the attributes you possess that will make you successful in life and in our program


  • Curriculum Vita/Resume


  • Two letters of recommendation


Health Education


Health Education Division Application (after you open this form; save it to your desktop and once it has been completed, save it and email to




Leisure, Youth & Human Services


Leisure, Youth & Human Services Division Application (after you open this form; save it to your desktop and once it has been completed, save it and email to




Physical Education


Physical Education Division Application (after you open this form; save it to your desktop and once it has been completed, save it and email to




Philanthropy/Non-Profit Development


For additional information contact Continuing Education.



Doctoral Degree


EdD Application  (after you open this form; save it to your desktop and once it has been completed, save it and email to


This area of intensive study is designed to provide students with advanced planning, management, supervision and evaluation of programs in the community and its institutions.  The combined areas of allied health, recreation and community services are diverse professional areas knitted together by a unified commitment to enhancing, enriching and sustaining individual well-being and quality of life. Each of these areas contributes unique and different professional perspectives, yet, at the same time, focus on the individual and collective well-being of people, communities and society as a whole.  Graduates are prepared for careers as applied scholars, evaluators, athletic administration, administrators of community nonprofit organizations, youth serving agencies, public parks and recreation agencies, foundations, and government agencies.  The program of study will be based upon student's needs, interests, and upon approval by an academic advisor and program of study committee.


Please note:

  • The Graduate Record Examination (General Test) is REQUIRED for admission
  • More specifically, applicants must take the Analytical Writing Ability component of the Graduate Record Exam and demonstrate evidence of professional writing ability
  • Applicants must have a 3.0 grade point average on all coursework attempted at the graduate level
  • Candidates must have master's level education research methods and statistics coursework prior to beginning professional core classes for this program: MEASRES 6205 (250:205) or HPELS 6290 (440:290) or equivalent and a substantial intro to statistics courses, MEASRES4180/5180 or HPELS 6210 (440:210) or equivalent
  • Applicants must submit a professional resume or curriculum vitae outlining their previous professional experience
  • Applicants must submit a statement outlining their goals and interests as they relate to the ISA's focus and intention
  • Three (3) letters of recommendation are required.  This program requires 60 semester hours beyond a Master's Degree
  • Comprehensive requirements and dissertation are required for completion.


Dr. Christopher Edginton, Coordinator

(319) 273-2840


Graduate Assistantship and/or Scholarship


Application for Graduate Assistantship - School of HPELS


Information on available Graduate Assistantships - School of HPELS


Information on how to apply for Graduate Assistantships and/or Scholarships from the Graduate College


Accessing my Student Records


Completing my Research Paper, Thesis or Dissertation


Selection of Research Paper Committee Form

(after you open this form, save it to your desktop, once you complete it, print it and take it to your committee members for their signatures.  The completed form should be taken to Machelle Stickler in HPC 003.)

Thesis Committee Approval Form


Thesis Submission Form


EdD Dissertation Committee Appointment Form


EdD Dissertation Committee Change Form


Dissertation Submission Form


EdD Dissertation Approval Form