Next cohort tentatively scheduled for Fall 2017
Iowa’s best schools have library programs that engage the entire school community to elevate the learning experience for all. Teacher librarians are strategically positioned to:
- teach students to think independently to construct new understanding and insights from varied information sources
- lead and embrace the integration of technology to enhance learning
- connect communities of learners in virtual and physical spaces
- collaborate with stakeholders to design and enact rigorous learning experiences
- maximize access to quality print and digital resources
- champion and support the reading lives of students
- nurture curiosity to develop in students a passion for learning for life
Excellence in education
Students will take classes in library resources, library and instructional technologies, library curriculum and administration, and complete a practicum experience and a master's research paper. Courses are aligned with the ALA/AASL Standards for Initial Preparation of School Librarians and the requirements for a K-12 endorsement as teacher librarian from the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners.
Among class activities are these learning experiences:
- Evaluate fiction, non-fiction, and electronic resources for enhancing literacy and learning
- Examine the principles and beliefs that underpin the library profession
- Develop policy that guides decision-making in the school library
- Design curriculum and teaching units for 21st century critical literacy
- Evaluate information and instructional technologies to be integrated into the context of learning
- Apply learning in directed practicum experiences in both elementary and secondary schools
Distance-friendly teacher education
The School Library Studies program is primarily delivered online. Some hybrid classes combine virtual and occasional face-to-face meetings on some Saturdays or summers. Admitted students become members of cohort groups that provide a sense of community and connection to UNI. Learn more about our distance offering and express your interest to receive program updates by visiting Continuing Education.
Excellence in class and faculty resources
The UNI Rod Library offers the services of a distant learners staff to provide consultation and resources online. Students have access to a wide variety of print sources and online databases.
School Library Studies faculty members are participating members of national and state professional organizations and make substantial contributions to the scholarship of the profession.