Associate Professor, Literacy Education & Coordinator, Literacy Education
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0612
Areas of Expertise:
- Language and Literacy Development in Classrooms
- The Reggio Emilia Approach
- LITED1044 Children's Literature
- LITED3115 Methods of Teaching Early Literacy
- LITED3119 Language Development and Emergent Literacy
- LITED3121 Children's Literature for Diversity & Social Justice
- LITED4140 Assessment and Evaluation of Literacy
- LITED6212 Methods and Materials in Literacy Education
- LITED6238 Advanced Assessment and Evaluation of Literacy Development
- LITED6240 Language Development and Variability
- LITED6245 Ideological, Cultural, and Sociopolitical Issues in Children's Literature
- ELEMECML 4123 Methods of Teaching Visual and Performing Arts Integration in the Elementary Classroom
- CAP3121 Creativity and the Evolution of Culture
- INTDEPED7305 Qualitative Methods in Educational Research
- ELEMECML7354 Curriculum Implementation and Evaluation
- INSTTECH1031 Educational Technology and Design
- INSTTECH4170 Supporting Learning with Dynamic Web Design
Language Development in Classrooms
- Meacham, S. (2021). Disabilities portrayed in picturebooks with the Américas Book Award. Journal of Latinos and Education. https://doi.org/10.1080/15348431.2021.1906876
- Meacham, S., Kim, J., Wee, S., & Kim, K. (2021). ReZoomⓒing our academic home using the suda(수다) approach. Qualitative Inquiry. https://doi.org/10.1177/10778004211002771
- Wee, S., Kura, K., & Meacham, S., (2021). “Half and half”: Racial identity development of multiracial Asian American children portrayed in children’s picturebooks. Journal of Children’s Literature, 47(1), 21-35.
- Choi, J. Y., Ryu, D., Van Pay, C., Meacham, S., & Beecher, C. C. (2021). Listening to Head Start teachers: Teacher beliefs, practices, and needs for educating dual language learners. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 54(1), 110-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecresq.2020.08.005
- Kim, J., Wee, S., & Meacham, S. (2021). What is missing in our teacher education practices: A collaborative self-study of teacher educators with children during the COVID-19 pandemic. Studying Teacher Education, 17(1), 22-37. https://doi.org/10.1080/17425964.2021.1895102
- Meacham, S., Sudduth, C., & Chalstrom, D. (2021). Transformative pedagogy for creativity and sustainability in teacher education: Study-abroad, student organization, and service learning. in A. E. Lopez & E. L. Olan (Eds.), Reimagining transformative leadership in teacher education (pp. 91-106). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Meacham, S., & Han, M. (2021). Technology-augmented dolls, animals, and vehicles. in D. Bergen (Ed), The handbook of developmentally appropriate toys. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Meacham, S., & Han, M. (2021). Preschool teachers’ responsive interactions with the children in dramatic play and children’s vocabulary outcomes. In M. Han, & J. E. Johnson (Eds.), Play and Culture: Play & Culture Studies Volume 16 (pp.113-126). Hamilton Books.
- Pepanyan, M., & Meacham, S. (2021). Play element and dynamics of interaction in an adult L2 classroom with the Communicative Language Teaching (CLT) Approach. In M. Han, & J. E. Johnson (Eds.), Play and Culture: Play & Culture Studies Volume 16 (pp.145-164). Hamilton Books.
- Hernandez-Saca, D., Martin, J., & Meacham, S. (2020). The hidden elephant is oppression: Shaming, mobbing, and institutional betrayals within the academy-Finding strength in collaborative self-study. Studying Teacher Education, 16(1), 26-47. https://doi.org/10.1080/17425964.2020.1727430
- Meacham, S., & Almalki, S. (2019). Teachers’ interaction with a young child with ASD to support language and communication skills development: Comparing iPad and non-iPad use. International Journal of Early Childhood Special Education, 10(2), 75-91. http://doi.org/10.20489/intjecse.506861
- Meacham, S. J., Meacham, S., Thompson, M., & Graves, H. (2019). Hip-Hop early literacy in K-1 classrooms. The Reading Teacher. http://doi.org/10.1002/trtr.1809
- Marjanovic-Shane, A., Meacham, S., Choi, H., Lopez, S., & Matusov, E. (2019). Idea-dying in critical ontological democratic dialogue. Learning, Culture, and Social Interaction, 20, 68-79. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.lcsi.2017.10.001
- Pepanyan, M., Meacham, S., & Logan, S. (2019). International students’ alienation in a U. S. higher ed institution. Journal for Multicultural Education. https://doi.org/10.1108/JME-10-2017-0057
- Meacham, S., & Atwood-Blaine, D. (2018). Early childhood robotics with inspirations from Reggio Emilia educators. Science & Children, 56(3), 57-62.
- Vander Zanden, S., Meacham, S., Frost, J., & Strange, J. (2017). A cello, a plane, and a garden: Reclaiming the context of play with young children to promote literacy. in R. J. Meyer & K. F. Whitmore (Eds.), Reclaiming early childhood literacies: Narratives of hope, power, and vision (pp. 259-268). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Meacham, S., Meacham, S. J., Kirkland-Holmes, G., & Han, M. (2017). Preschoolers’ author-illustrator study on Donald Crews. The Reading Teacher, 70(6), 741-746. http://doi.org/10.1002/trtr.1579
- Meacham, S. (2016). Preschoolers’ peer relationships and internally persuasive discourse. Learning, Culture, and Social Interaction 9, 95-104.
- Meacham, S., Vukelich, C., Han, M., & Buell, M. (2016). Teachers' responsiveness to preschoolers' utterances in sociodramatic play. Early Education and Development, 27(3), 318-335. http://doi.org/10.1080/10409289.2015.1057461
- Meacham, S. J., & Meacham, S. (2016). Pre-service teachers’ cultural competence development using multicultural children’s literature. in J. Kitchen, D. Tidwell, & L. Fitzgerald (Eds.), Self-study and diversity II (pp. 193-206). Rotterdam, The Netherlands: Sense Publishers.
- Matusov, E., Marjanovic-Shane, A., & Meacham, S. (2016). Pedagogical voyeurism: Dialogic critique of documentation and assessment of learning. International Journal of Educational Psychology, 5(1), 1-26.
- Herring, M., Meacham, S., & Mourlam, D. (2016). TPACK development in higher education. in M. Herring, M. Koehler, & P. Mishra (Eds.), The second handbook of technological pedagogical content knowledge for educators (pp. 207-224). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Meacham, S. (2016). Strategies for teaching English language learners: Assessing young English language learners’ language and literacy. In C. Vukelich, J. Christie, & B. Enz, Helping young children learn language and literacy: Birth through kindergarten, 3rd Edition (in Ch 9, p.191-192). Allyn & Bacon.
- Meacham, S., Vukelich, C., Han, M., & Buell, M. (2014). Preschool teachers’ questioning in sociodramatic play. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 29(4), 562-573. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecresq.2014.07.001
- Han, M., Vukelich, C., Buell, M., & Meacham, S. (2014). Beating the odds: Longitudinal investigation of a low-income, dual-language and monolingual children’s English language and literacy performance. Early Education and Development, 25(6), 841-858. http://doi.org/10.1080/10409289.2014.866920
- Meacham, S. J. & Meacham, S. (2014). Shifting boundaries: Self-study, race, and the global dimensions of racist representations in children’s literature. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference of Self-Study of Teacher Education Practices (pp. 265-268). Auckland, New Zealand: The University of Auckland. (ISBN 13: 978-0-473-28679-8)
- Meacham, S., Vukelich, C., Han, M., & Buell, M. (2013). Preschool teachers’ language use during dramatic play. European Early Childhood Education Research Journal, 22(5), 250-267. http://doi.org/10.1080/1350293X.2013.789196
- Matusov, E., von Duyke, K., & Han, S.* (2013). Community of learners: Ontological and non-ontological projects. Outlines-Critical Studies. 14(1), 41 - 72. *Han is my maiden name.
- Oh, M., & Han, S.* (2004). Una bambina, il filo di ferro e la foglia del girasole (Eng.: A Child, wire, and a sunflower leaf). Bambini, 2004, 67-70. *Han is my maiden name.
Honors & Awards:
- Outstanding Teaching Award (University of Northern Iowa, Provost Office; Jan 2019)
Ph.D., University of Delaware