Doctoral Graduate Assistantship
Position Title: Research Assistant
Reports to: Associate Dean
Terms of Employment:
- For the fall semester - August 21-December 15, 2017: 20 hours per week, beginning first week of the semester and ending the last day of final exam week. Does not include the week of Thanksgiving Break.
- For the spring semester - January 8-May 4, 2018: 20 hours per week, beginning first week of the semester and ending the last day of final exam week. Does not include the week of Spring Break.
- Full assistantship salary:
- MA - $5,120 per semester
- Doctoral - $7,674 per semester
- Salary will be prorated weekly for late start..
- Graduate Assistants may qualify for in-state tuition and fees.
- Graduate Assistants receive University holidays and do not work during Thanksgiving Break, Spring Break, or the interims between semesters.
- The Graduate Assistantship and Tuition Scholarships will be applied for and awarded separately. Receiving one will not ensure that the other will be awarded to the applicant.
- For more information on the Graduate Assistantship System and procedures: http://www.grad.uni.edu/assistantships/
Graduate Research Assistant will be selected for excellence in supporting scholarship and promise as a researcher. Research under the direct supervision of the Dean or Associate Dean or support for research initiatives will be the focus of this position. Some tasks that the research assistant may be involved in are:
- Literature review, report, conference presentation, or manuscript writing and editing
- Writing of human subjects applications
- Drafting of grant applications
- Data coding, entry into spreadsheets, and analysis
- Transcription of videos or audio tapes of research subjects
- School visits related to research
- Maintain and communicate progress weekly with Associate Dean
- Duties related to support of the Doctor of Education program
- Must be a full-time, degree-seeking student in a UNI graduate program.
- Must be enrolled in 9 graduate credits each semester of assistantship.
- Maintain a Plan GPA of at least 3.00. First semester graduate students must have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.00.
- Preferred: Background experience in teaching.
Application Process and Deadline: To apply email the completed Application Form for Graduate Assistantship (available at http://www.grad.uni.edu/assistantships)
Applications received by March 1, 2017 will be given preferential consideration.