Associations and resources for teacher librarians
- SLIK-12: Listserv for school libraries of Iowa (see information below)
- Iowa Association of School Librarians (IASL)
- Iowa Technology and Education Connection (ITEC)
- American Association of School Librarians (AASL)
- International Society for Technology in Education (ITSE)
- Framework for 21st Century Learning - The Partnership for 21st Century Skills
A teacher librarian listserv
All teacher librarians in Iowa may join this electronic forum. The audience for this discussion group will typically be teacher librarians who work in K-12 schools in Iowa, and those who share their professional concerns, interests and mission. The purpose of this group is to facilitate professional communication among Iowa teacher librarians, provide mentoring, disseminate research findings, discuss intellectual freedom and share applications of the Internet and other online services. This discussion group is sponsored by the Division of School Library Studies, in the College of Education at the University of Northern Iowa.
SLIK-12 is a public, unmoderated discussion group through Google Groups.
Note about membership
Although this list is suggested for teacher librarians of Iowa, this is not a closed group. Any interested person may self-subscribe to the list, or may subscribe in the future. Any subscribed member may view all past archives of posts. Therefore, it is essential that all members follow general online etiquette.
- Don't post anything on SLIK-12 that you don't want the world to see or don't want the world to know came from you. All messages to SLIK-12 are archived in Google Groups and anyone who is a member of that group now (or joins in the future) can access all past messages. SLIK-12 is an unmoderated group, so anyone could subscribe.
- Engage in professional cordiality. Do not attack or challenge people on or off the list. If you wouldn't say it in a staff meeting with all teachers, administrators, and associates present, don't say it on SLIK-12. As always, preserve student confidentiality.
- Do not forward emails from others to SLIK-12 without their permission. And do not forward emails a SLIK-12 member sent you privately to the list without the person's permission. (See FAQ below: How should I share the results of a request for information I have made?)
- Even though all messages to SLIK-12 could be accessed by the public, you should still treat the messages you receive with care. Don't forward messages you think may be offensive to others off the list.
- SLIK-12 recognizes the contribution vendors can provide to the profession. Therefore, vendors may participate in this electronic forum provided they do not promote or advertise products or services. Nor may they use any information obtained via SLIK-12 to distribute unsolicited product information in other formats. We welcome vendor expertise on products, services, etc., that facilitate professional discussions. Vendors who violate this trust will be barred from the list.
- All new members, including vendors, are asked to announce their participation in SLIK-12 with an initial introduction.
Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do I need a Google account to be part of SLIK-12?
The SLIK-12 listserv is a Google Group, but Google email addresses or accounts are not required. Individuals with Google accounts, however, have access to the group archive, can view the member list, and can change their personal settings (e.g., request one summary email a day instead of receiving each individual email).
How do I subscribe or unsubscribe to SLIK-12?
Send an email message from your email account to email@example.com. Do not include a subject or message. You will then get an email from SLIK-12 telling you to reply to the email or click the button “Join This Group":
a. If you are using a NON-Google email address: Reply to the email with no message or subject. Do not click the button. Once you reply, your membership request will be complete.
b. If you are using a Google email address: you can do either option, but it is recommended that you click the button “Join This Group” because a window will pop up asking you to put in your display name and choose your delivery preferences (e.g. do you want to receive each email as it comes in or have an email summary once a day?). After you enter this information and click the button in the window, your membership request will be complete.
How can I tell if my membership is working?
1) You will receive an email from SLIK-12 confirming that you are a group member. Check your spam folder if you don't see it in your inbox. 2) You can test your membership by sending a “Test” message to firstname.lastname@example.org. It should show up immediately in your inbox (unless you have chosen to receive a summary email once a day instead of each individual email). 3) If you are using a Gmail address, you can go to https://groups.google.com/a/uni.edu/group/slik-12/ and see recent messages and review the list of members.
To leave the group, send an email message from your email account to email@example.com. Do not include a subject or message. See below for additional directions on switching from one email address to another.
How do I post a message to SLIK-12?
Send your message to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I view the message archive?
All messages are archived through Google Groups and are only accessible to members of the group. Members who are using a Google email address can view the archive by logging into their Google account, going to "Groups," choosing "My Groups" and then selecting the SLIK-12 group.
How can I see the membership list?
Members who are using a Google email address can access the group archive as described above and then click the "Members" button on the upper right.
What should I do if I change my email address and want to stay on the SLIK-12?
If you leave one email address in favor of another, switch to the new address while you still have rights to the old address. Try one of the following options:
1. If you have been using a Google email address to subscribe to SLIK-12 and would like to switch to a different Google address, you can make this change through your Google Groups membership settings.
2. Use your old email address to unsubscribe to SLIK-12 (see directions above) and then use your new email address to subscribe (see above).
3. Send an email to email@example.com requesting that she unsubscribe you from the old address and subscribe your new address. Include your old address in the email.
How should I share the results of a request for information I made?
Use the TARGET and HIT process. A TARGET is a request for information. Afterward, a HIT is posted that compiles or summarizes the responses that were received. This is a benefit to other list members. Compile HITs WITHOUT names or contact information from those who sent their replies directly to you. Those who replied to you may not be willing to have their contact information shared with the group.
When replying to or posting a HIT or summary, please consider these e-mail etiquette suggestions: 1) Post the HIT of summarized responses, copied and pasted into a message, without names or contact information. 2) If you TARGET information and wish to share others' responses including their contact information about a topic, please state in your request for information that names and email addresses of those replying will be shared with the listserv. 3) If you reply to a TARGETED request for information, and you wish to remain anonymous, please state that notably in your reply to the person who will summarize the information.